Sep 9, 2011

Jakob's Felted Clogs

I have long admired Bev Galeskas' pattern for Felted Clogs, and have knitted about 6 or 7 pairs in various adult sizes. I think the fit is great, mine never slip of my feet, and they look great on women and men.

After having knit several pairs of baby booties for my son, I now thought he deserves some felted clogs, too, and was delighted to see that Bev Galeska has a pattern out for children including toddlers sizes. I guess I could have figured out the math myself, but  it's so much easier to just follow the pattern :-)

I had several small leftover balls of Cascade 220, the yarn I usually use for the clogs, and determined he will get colored clogs using up these odds and ends.





He is very excited and particularly happy that they match his car.


I made one slight modification to the pattern that you might want to try out, too:

Instead of casting on the desired number of sts for back and forth knitting, I cast on the same number using Judy's Magic Cast-on.
To duplicate the garter st of the original pattern I purled one row, then knit row 1 as described but also knit instead of purled after the first w&t. From here on I kept knitting or purling depending what was needed in that particular row, or part of a row to get garter st.When the sole is done it's just following the pattern again since from here on it's knit in the round.

This way you don't need to seam the two soles (4 in total) nor the back of the foot.
I hope this makes sense. If not, send me a message and I will try to explain more.

4 comments:

  1. Wat een geweldige sloffen Usch, ik kan me voorstellen dat Jakob er blij mee is !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a great idea to avoid seaming! I have knit many pairs of these and really enjoy this pattern. I'm off to try it this way now. -Jillbert (aka atomicmommy on ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jilbert, so glad it's of use to someone. Happy knitting more of these wonderful slippers!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like